The total flower species count from our last year trips was approx. 190 species
Have a look at these images from some of the participants
And some trip reports
I am sure, you all must have heard about “Valley of flowers” in Himalayas where hundreds of varieties of wild flowers of all colours bloom in August – September every year….where the valley transforms into no less than a “Heaven” ……hundreds of visitors toil several kms to reach this valley and to experience the bliss.
However, not many know that a similar (though not majestic as the Himalayan site) place exists in
The lateritic plateau of Kass has becomes home to millions of tiny flowers in late monsoons. The whole spectacle is beyond words. More than 300 varieties of wild flowers, herbs, orchids, shrubs, insectivorous plants etc. can be seen here in Aug and Sep (Best time is 15th Aug to 15th Oct)….. This plateau overlooks the lush evergreen forests that serves as a water catchment area of Koyna Dam and which is recently declared as “Sahyadri Tiger reserve” ……….
In monsoon the whole area transforms into an unbelievable carpets of flowers like yellow carpets of Smithia and Sonki flowers, Pink carpets of Balsam, Purple carpets of Karvi etc….
Click here to view some images from this amazing place…….
From the parking space, the waterfalls are a few minutes walk, through well wooded countryside. The falls are situated in a steep U shaped valley, with the main falls at the apex of the 'U' and smaller falls on one side of the 'U'. On the other side, a viewing platform has been created for observers to enjoy this wonderful display of nature.
You can see a video clip of this marvelous waterfall.
Bird Life: Kass plateau and the surrounding area has a very good birdlife with good sightings of Crested Buntings, Malabar Crested Larks, Oriental White-eyes, Bonelli’s Eagle. It is a heaven for Macro photography too.
Though the trip will be focused on watching the flora and to learn more about them with a distinguished expert, we would also not miss the other fauna such as birds, butterflies and amphibians that are found in plenty there….
Date: 11th Sep, 2009 morning 6.30 am to 13th Sep, 2009 eve 8.00 pm
Resource Person: Dr.Rajendra Shinde (Reader in Botany, St.Xavier's College, Mumbai), Mr.Adesh Shivkar & Mr.Mandar Khadilkar
Mode of Travel : By Minibus (considering the extensive travel to cover the area and also the to and fro travel from Hotel to the Plateau everyday)
1) Friday 11th Sep, 2009 : Depart to Kass (20 kms from Satara) from Bandra (E) at 6.30 am…..reach by around 1.00 pm- Check in Hotel – Lunch – proceed to the Plateau and the Ghat to watch the species that grow on the slopes – return back at 7 pm
2) Saturday 12th Sep, 2009: Start early morning to the plateau to experience the grandeur of floral carpets on the plateau– return for lunch and proceed to Thoseghar Waterfalls to enjoy the grandeur of monsoon.
3) Sunday 13th Sep, 2009: Start early for a visit to 'Ghatai Devi sacred groves" on the way to Kaas Plateau….Flora watch at Kass Plateau.....Return to Hotel at 12 pm – Lunch – Checkout and depart for Mumbai – reach Bandra(E) by 8.00 pm.
Trip Charges : Rs./-
Includes Stay at Hotel Cinderella Inn in Satara on a twin sharing basis, Travel by minibus , Park entry charges if any, veg / Non- veg meals, Articles on Kass and Wild flowers, expert guidance charges & on board snacks and Mineral water…….
This does not include any charges other then the above.
Payment: You can either
Name: Mr.Mandar Khadilkar
Address: B-702, Neha Apartments, Ashish Complex, Dahisar (East), Mumbai -400068.
1) The seats will be confirmed only against the advance amount on first come basis.
2) Once registered, the advance amount of Rs. 2500/- is strictly non-refunadable
3) Alcohol & Smoking is strictly prohibited on Nature India Tours
Please reply to us, in case you need any clarifications …..
For any other queries we are available on 9321463362 (Adesh) or 9967518665 (Mandar) or email@example.com or http://natureindia.ning.com/
Hope to see you for this wonderful trip
Thanks for your patience.
Adesh Shivkar & Mandar Khadilkar
Appreciate, Respect & Care for Nature