Here's a link to the report of the 2nd trip (6th-7th Sep, 2008)
And Here's a link to the report of the 3rd trip (Nov'08)
With the exploitation of grasslands, the flagship species namely the Great Indian Bustard, Lesser Florican, Indian Wolf, Blackbuck are also threatened. In fact, it is believed that there are less than 400 GIBs in the world and they are critically endangered.Not many know that this majestic bird was once a strong contender for the position of our national bird……but the tricky name got him out of the race.
Nannaj GIB Sanctuary : One such amazing grassland / scrub land is the famous Nannaj GIB sanctuary, approx. 22 kms from Solapur.
Nannaj is a small village approx. 22 Kms away from the main city Solapur,
The area called "100 hectare" is a plot of 100 hectares, and it is a core area of the sanctuary where the breeding pairs have been observed. Recent census estimates over 20 Great Indian Bustards.... However, the GIBs are spread over vast areas in the sanctuary and nearby cultivated fields depending on the availability of food.
Nannaj GIB Sanctuary also holds a very good population of Blackbucks that stroll over leisurely but cautiously around the park and the surrounding area. The main predators of these Blackbucks and the Black-naped hares which abound here are Indian Wolf and Indian Fox. There is a resident pack of 8 wolves in the core area of the sanctuary, that are regularly seen scanning their area with a dominant "Alpha pair".....
Apart from the above flagship species, Nannaj is a great place to see a number of other grassland and scrub land species like Larks, Pipits, Quails, Francolins, Sandgrouse, Lapwings, Raptors, Coursers, Munias, Doves etc…..
Click some of these links to know more about Nannaj
Though the GIBs are nomads and move about in a large area. The month of August is the best time to see the bustards in Nannaj when they seek a safe abode to display and breed in the core area.
Date: 9th Oct 2009 eve. 10.30 pm to 12th Oct 2009 mor. 6.30 am (travel days included)
Mode of Travel : Train uptil Solapur and local travel by Jeeps.Tour Iterinary:
1) Friday 9th Oct, 2009 : Departure from Mumbai by train at 10.30 pm
2) Saturday 10th Oct, 2009 : Arrive at Solapur early morning - Checkin hotel & Refresh / Breakfast (really fast) - Birdwatching in Nannaj - Lunch at Hotel Nisarg for the mouth watering "Zhunka Bhakar, Shenga Poli & Thecha" - Visit to Eurasian Eagle Owl area - Evening Birding - Return to Hotel - Revision & Discussion of day's sightings - Dinner and early bed.
3) Sunday 11th Oct, 2009 : Early morning Birdwatching in Nannaj - Sumptuous lunch consisting of the typical Solapur delicacies -Evening visit to Hipparga Lake near Solapur city for watching water birds (or again near Nannaj) with Mr.B.S.Kulkarni (well known veteran ornithologist instrumental in declaring Nannaj sanctuary) - return to the hotel - Dinner and proceed to board the train at 10.45 pm
4) Monday 12th Oct, 2009 : Reach Mumbai (Dadar) in mor. by 6.30 amMore details on the iterinary will be given to those who register.....
Trip charges : Rs.3850/- (Ex.Mumbai-includes train fare) or Rs.3375/- (Ex.Solapur-excludes train fare)....
Includes Stay in Hotel at Solapur on a twin sharing basis, Mumbai-Solapur-Mumbai train travel (Sleeper Class) for Ex.Mumbai Charges (subject to availability), Local transport by Jeeps, Park entry charges, vegetarian food, Articles on Nannaj and Nannaj bird checklist, on board mineral water and snacks……
This does not include any other charges and also any individual camera charges ....Individuals will have to pay additional charges if any to the forest dept. as per the rules.
Registration: You can register by sending a confirmatory mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and by paying a non refundable Advance of Rs.2500/- (The seats will only be confirmed after recieving the advance amount) …..the remaining amount will be collected in train on the day of travel.......Please Register before 15th Aug, 2009 to get the confirmed train bookings (subject to availability) and the desired class of travel.
Resource Persons: Mr.Adesh Shivkar & Mr.Mandar Khadilkar
Mode of Payment: You can either
1) Transfer the advance money directly to my HDFC A/c : (please call me for my A/c no.) .... please mention your name, date and other details….
2) Courier a cheque of Rs.2500/- to the following address
Name: Mr.Adesh Shivkar
Address: D/8, The Adi Janata Society, Behind HP Petrolpump, Opp. Hotel Shangrila, Sion(East), Mumbai-400022
1) Once registered, the advance amount of Rs. 2500/- is strictly non-refunadable
2) Alcohol & Smoking is strictly prohibited on Nature India Tours
Please contact us, in case you need any clarification …..
For any other queries we are available on 9321463362 (Adesh) or 9967518665 (Mandar) or email@example.com
Hope to see you for this wonderful trip
Thanks for your patience.
Adesh Shivkar & Mandar Khadilkar
Appreciate, Respect & Care for Nature