I am sure, you all must have heard about “Valley of flowers” in Himalayas where hundreds of varieties of wild flowers of all colours bloom in August – September every year….where the valley transforms into no less than a “Heaven” ……hundreds of visitors toil several kms to reach this valley and to experience the bliss.
(Sincere thanks to - Mr.Ritesh Bagul for allowing me to use some of his amazing images on Kass. )
However, not many know that a similar (though not majestic as the Himalayan site) place exists in
The lateritic plateau of Kass has becomes home to millions of tiny flowers in late monsoons. The whole spectacle is beyond words. More than 300 varieties of wild flowers, herbs, orchids, shrubs, insectivorous plants etc. can be seen here in Aug and Sep (Best time is 15th Aug to 15th Sep)….. This plateau overlooks the lush evergreen forests that serves as a water catchment area of Koyna Dam and which is recently declared as “Sahyadri Tiger reserve” ……….
In monsoon the whole area transforms into an unbelievable carpets of flowers like yellow carpets of Smithia and Sonki flowers, Pink carpets of Balsam, Purple carpets of Karvi etc….
The place is rich also in minerals and you can see the red patches of laterite rocks typically called ‘Sadaa’ in Marathi.
Click here to view some images from this amazing place…….
Kass plateau and the surrounding area has a very good birdlife with good sightings of Crested Buntings, Malabar Crested Larks, Oriental White-eyes, Bonelli’s Eagle. It is a heaven for Macro photography too.
Though the trip will be focused on watching the flora and to learn more about them with a distinguished expert, we would also not miss the other fauna such as birds, butterflies and amphibians that are found in plenty there….
Date: 29th Aug, 2008 morning 6.30 am to 31st Aug, 2008 eve 8.00 pm
Resource person: Mr.Adesh Shivkar & Dr. Shraddha Shimpi (HOD- Botany, Pendharkar College, Dombivili)
Mode of Travel : By Minibus (considering the extensive travel to cover the area and also the to and fro travel from Hotel to the Plateau everyday)
1) Friday 29th Aug, 2008 : Depart to Kass (20 kms from Satara) from Bandra (E) at 6.30 am…..reach by around 1.00 pm- Check in Hotel – Lunch – proceed to the Plateau and the Ghat to watch the species that grow on the slopes – return back at 7 pm
2) Saturday 30th Aug, 2008: Start early morning to the plateau to experience the grandeur of floral carpets – return for lunch and again proceed to the plateau.
3) Sunday 31st Aug, 2008: Start early for a birding session near Bamnoli (part of Koyna forest)….Flora watch at Kass Plateau.....Return to Hotel at 12 pm – Lunch – Checkout and depart for Mumbai – reach Bandra(E) by 8.00 pm.
Trip Charges : Rs./-
Includes Stay at Hotel in Satara on twin sharing basis, Travel by 27 seater minibus (Group size- max.21 persons), Park entry charges if any, vegetarian food, Articles on Kass and Wild flowers & on board snacks and water…….
This does not include any charges other then the above.
Payment: You can either
1) Transfer the advance money directly to my HDFC A/c : (Please call me to know my A/c no.) .... please mention your name, date and other details….
2) Courier a cheque of Rs.2000/- to the following address
Name: Mr.Adesh Shivkar
Address: D/8, The Adi Janata Society, Behind HP Petrolpump, Opp. Hotel Shangrila, Sion(East), Mumbai-400022
Please reply to me, in case you need any clarification …..
For any other queries I am available on 9321463362 or 9820455713 or email@example.com
Hope to see you for this wonderful trip
Thanks for your patience.
Appreciate, Respect & Care for Nature