The flower species count
From 15th to 17th Aug'2008 : 76 Species
From 12th to 14th Sep'2008 : 105 Species
There are some places in Maharashtra, where you will feel blessed. One such place is Kaas Plateau, Satara. This "Out of the world" place deserves to be visited atleast once a year from 15th Aug to 15th Oct to witness not only the amazing array of wild flowers, but also the serene atmosphere that mesmerizes one's soul.....
Have a look at these images from some of the participants
And some trip reports
However, not many know that a similar (though not majestic as the Himalayan site) place exists in
The lateritic plateau of Kass has becomes home to millions of tiny flowers in late monsoons. The whole spectacle is beyond words. More than 300 varieties of wild flowers, herbs, orchids, shrubs, insectivorous plants etc. can be seen here in Aug and Sep (Best time is 15th Aug to 15th Sep)….. This plateau overlooks the lush evergreen forests that serves as a water catchment area of Koyna Dam and which is recently declared as “Sahyadri Tiger reserve” ……….
In monsoon the whole area transforms into an unbelievable carpets of flowers like yellow carpets of Smithia and Sonki flowers, Pink carpets of Balsam, Purple carpets of Karvi etc….It is a dream destination not only for avid botanists but also for those who appreciate
nature. These carpets change colours almost every week depending on the dominant flowers during that time.
The place is also rich in minerals and you can see the red patches of laterite rocks typically called ‘Sadaa’ in Marathi.
Click here to view some images from this amazing place…….
Kass plateau and the surrounding area has a very good birdlife with good sightings of Crested Buntings, Malabar Crested Larks, Oriental White-eyes, Bonelli’s Eagle. It is a heaven for Macro photography too.
Though the trip will be focused on watching the flora and to learn more about them with a distinguished expert, we would also not miss the other fauna such as birds, butterflies and amphibians that are found in plenty there….
Date: 3rd Oct, 2008 morning 6.30 am to 5th Oct, 2008 eve 8.00 pm
Resource person: Dr. Rajendra Shinde (Botany Dept, St.Xaviers College, Mumbai) & Mr.Adesh Shivkar
Mode of Travel : By Minibus (considering the extensive travel to cover the area and also the to and fro travel from Hotel to the Plateau everyday)
1) Friday 3rd Oct, 2008 : Depart to Kass (20 kms from Satara) from Bandra (E) at 6.30 am…..reach by around 1.00 pm- Check in Hotel – Lunch – proceed to the Plateau and the Ghat to watch the species that grow on the slopes – return back at 7 pm
2) Saturday 4th Oct, 2008: Start early morning to the plateau to experience the grandeur of floral carpets on the plateau– return for lunch and proceed to Sajjangad to enjoy the beauty of monsoon.
3) Sunday 5th Oct, 2008: Start early for a birding session near Bamnoli (part of Koyna forest)….Flora watch at Kass Plateau.....Return to Hotel at 12 pm – Lunch – Checkout and depart for Mumbai – reach Bandra(E) by 8.00 pm.
Trip Charges : Rs./-
Includes Stay at Hotel Cinderella Inn in Satara on twin sharing basis, Travel by 27 seater minibus , Park entry charges if any, veg / Non- veg food, Articles on Kass and Wild flowers & on board snacks and Mineral water…….
This does not include any charges other then the above.
Payment: You can either
1) Transfer the advance money directly to my HDFC A/c : (Please call me to know my A/c no.) .... please mention your name, date and other details….
2) Courier a cheque of Rs.3550/- to the following address
Name: Mr.Adesh Shivkar
Address: D/8, The Adi Janata Society, Behind HP Petrolpump, Opp. Hotel Shangrila, Sion(East), Mumbai-400022
Please reply to me, in case you need any clarifications …..
For any other queries I am available on 9321463362 or 9820455713 or email@example.com
Hope to see you for this wonderful trip
Thanks for your patience.
Appreciate, Respect & Care for Nature