The Diwali holidays are approaching and we all will be subjected to the modern celebrations in the form of loud fire-crackers and the intoxicating air. Celebrate this Diwali with a difference…….Explore the wonders of Birdwatching and amazing beaches of Alibaug and Akshi.
PHANSAD WILDLIFE SANCTUARY
Phansad is a semi-evergreen / mixed deciduous forest that is located approximately 143 Kms from Mumbai (Sion) and about 42 kms from the town of
The gentle hills of this protected area are located between the northern Sahyadri range and the western coast of
The Fort of Janjira located off the sea is the only one of its kind. Janjira Jal-durg (sea fort) was constructed by Malik Ambar, an Abssinian minister in the service of the Sultan of Ahmednagar, who belonged to the famous Nizamshahi dynasty. The fort, built at the end of the 17th Century, is almost entirely intact even today, despite the ravages of wind and tide, a testimony to the marvels of ancient engineering.
According to all accounts, the sea fort of Janjira could not be conquered by any of the kings ruling the neighbouring territories. Surprisingly, not even Shivaji could acquire it despite 13 expeditions to conquer the fort. His son, Sambhaji, tried a unique approach to capture the fort: digging an underwater tunnel to enter. But he too failed in his attempt.
The hamlet of Akshi is just 5 km away from Alibag. The inhabitant of this village are fishermen and is not crowded at all. The beach at Akshi is a favorite tourist spot. One could slug around the clear beaches and step inside the warm and unruffled
As we cross the Rev-danda bridge, to the right is Korlai fort within the sea and attached to the mainland by a narrow land strip through the
Chaul is a former city of
TRAVEL & STAY ITERINARY.
Though the trip will be focused on Bird-watching and to learn more about them, we have also planned some historical site-seeing like Janjira and Korlai fort along with Chaul village which is a famous shrine ….
Date: 27th Oct, 2008 morning 6.30 am to 29th Oct, 2008 eve 6.00 pm
Resource person: Mr. Adesh Shivkar.
Mode of Travel : By Minibus (considering the extensive travel to cover the area)TRIP ITERINARY
1) Monday 27th Oct, 2008 : Depart from Bandra (E) at 6.30 am…..a brief birdwatch in Karnala Bird Sanctuary …… have breakfast at Hotel Karnala….. Reach Ramdhaneshwar near Alibaug for a Raptor watch…. Lunch in Alibaug and proceed to Akshi for stay in a bungalow….. proceed to Chaul near Revdanda…..Come back by 4.30 pm to spend the evening at the wonderful Akshi beach which is just a 4 mins walk from the Bungalow…..Enjoy the home cooked dinner…….
2) Tuesday 28th Oct, 2008: Start early morning at 6.30 am for bird-watching at Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary……. Visit the Grassland patches and Waterholes (Gunyacha Maal, Chikhalgaan & Phansadgaan) …… Lunch at Murud…… Visit Fort “Janjira” …… Visit Korlai Fort and Beach for a lovely evening……Return to Akshi to celebrate Diwali by lighting “Diyas” (No fire crackers please) …….
3) Wednesday 29th Oct, 2008: Start early morning at 6.30 am for bird-watching at Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary (visit the Sacred Groves)…….visit the Periphery of forests and the “Sacred Groves” for Birdwatching ……visit “Therunda Village” to have a glimpse of a skeleton of “Whale”…….Lunch …..pack up and proceed to Mumbai….. Reach Bandra (E) / Thane by 6 pm.
More details on the iterinary will be given to those who register.....
Trip Charges : Rs.3100/- (10 % discount for children below 12 years and Students)
Includes Stay at a Bungalow in
This does not include any charges other than the above.
Stay Arrangement: In a Bungalow (of Mr.Atul Bankar) in
Food : Home cooked vegetarian food will be served in the bungalow.
Registration: You can register by sending a confirmatory mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and by paying a non refundable full advance of Rs.3100/-…..
Resource Persons: Mr.Adesh Shivkar
Mode of Payment: You can either
1) Transfer the advance money directly to my HDFC A/c : (please call me for my A/c no.) .... please mention your name, date and other details….
2) Courier a cheque of Rs.3100/- to the following address
1) Once registered, the advance amount of Rs. 3100/- is strictly non-refundable
2) Alcohol & Smoking is strictly prohibited on Nature India Tours
Name: Mr.Adesh Shivkar
Address: D/8, The Adi Janata Society, Behind HP Petrolpump, Opp. Hotel Shangrila, Sion(East), Mumbai-400022
Please contact me, in case you need any clarification …..
Hope to see you for this wonderful trip
Thanks for your patience.
Appreciate, Respect & Care for Nature